Connected Corridors (CC) was a collaborative program to research, develop, and test an Integrated Corridor Management (ICM) approach to managing transportation corridors in California. ICM views the corridor as a total system to be managed as an integrated and cohesive whole; it seeks to address the corridor’s overall transportation needs rather than the needs of particular elements or agencies alone. The Connected Corridors team developed a state of the art model and Decision Support System for use on a pilot project on Interstate 210. The pilot is now being spearheaded by Caltrans District 7 and will be deployed in Spring 2022.
CC I-210 Pilot Vision
- Pilot the 1st Connected Corridors ICM on I-210 in Los Angeles.
- Bring together corridor stakeholders to create an environment for mutual cooperation.
- Develop and deploy the I-210 Pilot as the most instrumented, modeled, and sophisticated corridor in the nation.
- Focus on reducing non-recurrent congestion through traffic reroute opportunities.
- Develop the system for expansion to all modes and recurrent congestion improvements.
- Provides a foundation for future improvements and advances in transportation management.
CC I-210 Pilot Accomplishments
Analysis, Modeling and Simulation
- Data quality improved to 80-90% for the entire corridor
- Real-time traffic-state estimation
- Calibrated microsimulation model
- Response plan library
- Scorecard process for decision making
- Solid foundation for ICM deployment
ICM Core System
- Standardized TMDD interfaces with each jurisdiction’s TMC (signals, ramps, sensing, signs), creating a library of multiple vendor products capable of communication with the Data Hub.
- Data Hub scalable for any Caltrans district, providing storage and processing of data collected and incident management activities.
- DSS for response plan development capable of operating in any corridor.
- Corridor Management System providing full corridor situational awareness for all stakeholders.
- Ability to deploy anywhere via AWS.
ICM Core System Capabilities
- Real-time processing and storage of corridor data.
- Traffic estimation for arterials and freeway.
- Traffic prediction for response plan evaluation.
- Response plan development and incident lifecycle management.
- Repeatable solution for other regions, corridors, CT districts via AWS and deployment automation.
- Configurable system to address local and regional differences.
- Changeable workflows to manage pipelines and incident lifecycle.
- Scalable solution for virtually any size implementation.